Skip to main content

On This Day: August 11, 1989 Cherish" enters the Billboard singles chart.








After the -content-wise- heavy loaded Like A Prayer and Express Yourself singles, Madonna chose this light love song as third single. There aren't many other Madonna songs that pay tribute to the beauty of love better than Cherish does. The fans agreed and the single climbed the charts to #2 in the US (kept from the top spot by Janet Jackson's 'Miss You Much') and Japan, #3 in the UK and #4 in Australia.




While the song pretends to be an innocent love song, the video gives it a sexy touch. Directed by the fantastic photographer Herb Ritts - who also made the cover picture of the True Blue album - the video looks like a photo shoot in black, white and blue colors. Madonna swims in the sea between gorgeous mermen (among who is Tony Ward, whom Madonna dated a few years later), wearing a tight (while wet) black dress, showing off her 


Lyrics

Cherish, cherish

So tired of broken hearts and losing at this game
Before I start this dance
I take a chance in telling you
I want more than just romance
You are my destiny
I can't let go
Baby can't you see
Cupid please take your aim at me

Cherish the thought
Of always having you here by my side
Oh baby I cherish the joy
You keep bringing it into my life
I'm always singing it
Cherish your strength
You got the power to make me feel good
And baby I perish the thought
Of ever leaving
I never would

I was never satisfied with casual encounters
I can't hide my need for two hearts that bleed
With burning love
That's the way it's got to be
Romeo and Juliet they never felt this way I bet
So don't underestimate my point of view

Cherish the thought
Of always having you here by my side
Oh baby I cherish the joy
You keep bringing it into my life
I'm always singing it
Cherish your strength
You got the power to make me feel good
And baby I perish the thought
Of ever leaving
I never would

Who? You!
Can't get away, I won't let you
Who? You!
I could never forget to
Cherish is the word I use to remind me of
Your love

You're givin' it
You're givin' it to me boy
Keep giving me all-all-all your joy
Give me faith
I will always cherish you

Romeo and Juliet they never felt this way I bet
So don't underestimate my point of view

Who? You!
Can't get away, I won't let you
Who? You!
I could never forget to
Cherish is the word I use to remind me of
Your love

Cherish the thought
Of always having you here by my side
Oh baby I cherish the joy
You keep bringing it into my life
I'm always singing it
Cherish your strength
You got the power to make me feel good
And baby I perish the thought
Of ever leaving
I never would

Cherish
Give me faith
Give me joy, my boy
I will always cherish you
Give me faith
Give me joy, my boy
I will always cherish you

Cherish your strength
(You're givin' it, you're givin' it to me boy)
Can't get away, I won't let you
(Keep giving me all your joy)
Perish the thought
(You're givin' it, you're givin' it to me boy)
I could never forget to
(Keep giving me all your joy)

Cherish the thought
(Give me faith, give me joy, my boy I will always cherish you)
(Can't get away, can't get away)
Cherish the joy
(Give me faith, give me joy, my boy I will always cherish you)
(Can't get away, can't get away)
Cherish the strength
(You're givin' it to me boy, keep giving me all your joy)
(Can't get away, can't get away)
Perish the thought
(You're givin' it to me boy, keep giving me all your joy)
(Can't get away, can't get away)

Cherish the thought
(Give me faith, give me joy, my boy I will always cherish you)
(Can't get away, can't get away)
Cherish the joy
(Give me faith, give me joy, my boy I will always cherish you)
(Can't get away, can't get away)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...