Skip to main content

Billboard #1s for the Week Ending January 5, 1985

ChartTitleActWeeks
Hot 100Like A VirginMadonna3
R & BOperatorMidnight Star3
CountryDoes Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind?George Strait1
Adult ContemporaryDo What You DoJermaine Jackson3
RockThe Boys of SummerDon Henley4
AlbumPurple RainPrince and the Revolution23
This week sees the queen of the 1985 Hot 100 reign at the top of the charts. After a pretty good year in 1984, including three Top 20 hits making it into the year-end countdown (Borderline at #35, Lucky Star at #66, and Holiday at #79), Madonna wrapped up the year with her first #1 single.
Like A Virgin blasted onto the Hot 100 at #48 on November 17, 1984 while Lucky Star was at #30 on its way down. It zipped up the charts [38 – 21 – 11 – 3] before hopping over Duran Duran’s The Wild Boys to take the #1 spot on December 22.
As 1985 dawns on the Hot 100, the Material Girl holds down the top spot for the third of an impressive six-week run. She charted four more hits during the year (three more from Like A Virgin plus the #1 Crazy For You from the VisionQuest soundtrack), all of which made into this year’s final top 100 list. Along with Phil Collins, Wham! and Tears For Fears, she ruled the airwaves for the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...