Skip to main content

On January 16 1993, Madonna was musical guest on NBC-TV's Saturday Night Live, performing Fever and Bad Girl.







Madonna had a rough go of it in 1993. After a decade’s worth of pop dominance and tantalizing the country with her sexuality and gender/religious politics, it was time for the backlash, and what better occasion for it than with a coffee-table book about sex and an album called Erotica hitting the marketplace? Erotica ended up being Madonna’s first album that didn’t hit #1 since her debut, and Sex became an international punchline. America has always been weird about its relationship with sex in pop culture, and Madonna bore the brunt of that in 1993, and I don’t want to pile on when I think she’s gotten too much shit for this period in her career anyway.
All that said: Madonna really showed her ass on Saturday Night Live in January of ’93, it just had nothing to do with sex (or Sex). Things started so well! She was phenomenal in the cold-open sketch about Bill Clinton’s inauguration, appearing as “herself,” but as a more sexualized, infantilized, Marilyn Monroe-ified version of herself, playing up her image and skewering it at the same time. She At the end of the performance, Madonna pulled out an 8×10 photo of Joey Buttafucco — who was at that point a tabloid fixture for the Amy Fisher scandal — squinted at the camera, shouted “Fight the real enemy!” and tore the photo up in a mock fit of indignation.
performed her cover of “Fever,” which, then as now, was aggressively good enough. And then for her second song, it was the underrated “Bad Girl.”
This was, of course, an intentional callback to Sinead O’Connor’s infamous SNL performance three months earlier, when she said those very same words while tearing up a photo of Pope John Paul II. O’Connor’s gesture was one of protest — during her song (a cover of Bob Marley’s “War”), O’Connor railed against child abuse in the Catholic Church. It would be another decade before the child-abuse allegations against the Church really began to take hold — check out a little movie called Spotlight about that — and it turns out that O’Connor was years ahead of that particular curve. This was political speech that actually carried risk with it; you can tell, because O’Connor reaped a whirlwind of shit for it. And then Madonna went and mocked her on SNL; this was after she had told the Irish Times, “I think there is a better way to present her ideas rather than ripping up an image that means a lot to other people.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...