Skip to main content

April 24, 2019 // Madonna's Premiere Music Video For 'Medellin' In MTV Special

'The whole story comes full circle': Madonna talks Madame X at MTV premiere

'The whole story comes full circle': Madonna talks Madame X at MTV premiere
Madonna unveiled the world premiere of her video of her new single Medellín during a globally televised MTV music event last night.
The pop icon, who releases her 14th studio LP Madame X via Interscope on June 14, was interviewed by DJ Trevor Nelson and fans live from MTV's Camden HQ.
Madonna said her relocation to Lisbon, Portugal, had ultimately inspired the new album, her first since 2015's Rebel Heart.
"I didn't go to Lisbon to make a record, that was the last thing on my mind," she said. "I went to Lisbon because my son wants to be a professional soccer player and he was never going to have the highest level of training in America so I just kind of spun the globe in a way and did a lot of research and found my Top 5 academies for boys to train and Lisbon ended up being my favourite city of the options.
"I thought it was going to be super fun and adventurous but then I found myself just going to school and picking up kids and going to soccer matches and really being 'Neddy no-mates'. So I started to meet people and most of the people I met were artists – either painters or musicians – and I started getting invited to people's homes and they had things called Living Room Sessions. Everyone would come, sit around a table and then suddenly musicians would start getting up and playing instruments. 
“Basically, I moved to Lisbon to be a soccer mom, and that’s where Madame X was born.”
We really are connected through music... We were connected before Instagram, people    
        Madonna
She continued: "Lisbon is a melting pot of cultures, musically... I had the pleasure and honour to meet musicians from all of these places and be inspired by their music and then let it influence me and that's how all these songs came to be.
"We really are connected through music, I would say, more than anything. We were connected before Instagram, people." 
Madame X also sees Madonna reunite with French producer Mirwais, who she first worked with on 2000's Music.
"It was amazing," she said. "I hadn't worked with him probably in about seven years and so I wasn't sure whether he was going to like the direction that I wanted to go in... I'm very inspired by his intelligence and hopefully vice-versa."
Madonna's Medellín collaborator Maluma briefly joined the conversation live from Miami, while she also took questions via satellite from MTV’s Sway Calloway and fans in New York, with additional MTV-hosted events in Milan and São Paulo.
On the Medellín lyric, 'I took a pill to be naive, to be someone I’ve never been', she explained: "I feel like when I started my career, as an artist, I was naive," she said. "And there was a good thing about being naive, because you don’t think about judgement, you don’t think about what people are going to say, or think about what you’re doing, and you are free and pure in your expression.
"So I wanted to be able to go back to that time in my life when I was just starting out in New York and I didn’t care what people thought and my music really came without listening to all the noise and recommendations or suggestions, or whatever. And that is also the time in my life, when I was 19, when I was given the name Madame X, so the whole story comes full circle.”
The 30-minute special debuted live across MTV’s digital platforms and linear channels in nearly 180 countries. Full replays can be watched on MTV’s Facebook and YouTube pages now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...