Skip to main content

Sundance 2013: Film Maker Claims Madonna May Have Increased Pussy Riot's Prison Sentences

Long before the plight of the Russian feminist group Pussy Riot hit the headlines,  Mike Lerner and Maxim Pozdorovkin had begun documenting the lives of the young women who aimed to change their homeland through protest in their movie 'Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer'.
The group hit the headlines in the West after the news broke that they were facing jail for performing an anti-church and Vladimir Putin song in a church, resulting in many denouncing the Russian government and pop Queen Madonna donning a ski mask similar to the ones the band made famous and appearing with the band's name written on her body.
Madonna shows her support for the band Pussy Riot at a concert in Moscow (Photo: WENN)
Ahead of their film's debut at the Sundance Film Festival Lerner has claimed that the singer's intervention may have even increased the sentences of the three women from the band (2 years in a penal colony), as it may have annoyed the court which convicted them of, "premeditated hooliganism performed by an organised group of people motivated by religious hatred or hostility".
Lerner told Fox 411's Pop Tarts column: "No not at all, in fact it was probably quite the opposite," adding:"That (Madonna's involvement) likely just irritated the court."
Pozdrovkin said that it was difficult for those not in Russia to understand the complex situation from outside, saying: "Most people in Russia don't like them and think they got what they deserved," continuing: "They were actually a lot more radical than people realize. They really tried to start a feminist revolution."
The film 'Pussy Riot - A Punk Prayer' debuted at Sundance on Friday (January 18).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...