Skip to main content

Madonna auctions Léger painting to support educating girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan


Sotheby’s is honored to announce that it will auction a painting from Madonna’s collection in its Impressionist & Modern Art Evening Sale on 7 May 2013. Proceeds from the sale of Fernand Leger’s Trois femmes à la table rouge, which is estimated at $5/7 million, will benefit the Ray of Light Foundation to support girls’ education projects in Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries.

In Afghanistan, just 12% of women are literate and it is estimated that only seven girls to every ten boys are able to attend school. In Pakistan, which has one of the largest populations of out-of-school children in the world, it is estimated that there are more than 3 million primary school-aged girls unable to attend school.
Madonna commented…
I have a great passion for art and a great passion for education. In conjunction with Sotheby’s, I would like to share these two passions. I have chosen to auction this painting called Three Women by Fernand Leger and donate all the proceeds to support girls’ educational projects in Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries where female education is rare or nonexistent. I cannot accept a world where women or girls are wounded, shot or killed for either going to school or teaching in girls’ schools. We don’t have time to be complacent. I want to trade something valuable for something invaluable – Educating Girls! Knowledge is power. Let’s change the world!
The work will be on view at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre from April 3rd to April 7th and in London from April 12th to April 16th, before returning to New York for exhibition in Sotheby’s York Avenue galleries beginning May 3.
Madonna Auctions Painting To Support Education Projects  - Trois femmes a la table rouge
For more information about the Ray of Light Foundation, visit therayoflightfoundation.org
—
Original article
Madonna is parting with an abstract French painting she’s owned for more than 20 years to support educating girls in Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries. It’s expected to bring $5 million to $7 million.
Fernand Léger’s “Three Women at the Red Table” will be offered May 7 at Sotheby’s auction house. All proceeds will benefit the Ray of Light Foundation.
The pop diva says she wants “to trade something valuable for something invaluable” in countries where female education is rare or nonexistent.
She purchased “Three Women” at Sotheby’s in 1990.
Léger created the work in 1921 as part of a series depicting women with still-life compositions.
Other examples from the series are in the Dallas Museum of Art and the Beyeler Foundation in Switzerland.


Read more: http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/04/03/madonna-auctions-leger-painting-to-support-educating-girls-in-afghanistan-and-pakistan/#ixzz2PQ0WNuto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...