Skip to main content

Lady Gaga admits she hoped she would 'p*** off Madonna' as she discusses queen of pop using her song on stage

They have had a rather tempestuous relationship ever since Lady Gaga burst on the music scene in 2008 and was instantly compared to the queen of pop - Madonna.
But it seems the younger pop star, Gaga, isn’t too concerned about the conflict between the pair, in fact she seems to rather relish in it.
Speaking to Attitude magazine about Madonna performing a mash up of Born This Way and her own song Express Yourself while touring last year, the 27-year-old admitted: ‘I've basically been hoping that I would become so good that one day I would p*** off Madonna!’
Not bothered: Lady Gaga has admitted that she had hoped to one day be good enough to annoy the queen of pop Madonna
Not bothered: Lady Gaga has admitted that she had hoped to one day be good enough to annoy the queen of pop Madonna
Making a point: Madonna used Born This Way in a mash up with her song Express Yourself while on stage
Making a point: Madonna used Born This Way in a mash up with her song Express Yourself while on stage
When Born This Way was released in 2011, many accused Gaga of emulating Madonna’s 1989 hit Express Yourself a little too much.
 
Discussing Madonna, 55, using her song she told the magazine: ‘I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night! I'm certainly not thinking about anybody but me and my fans when I'm on stage.’
She continued: ‘The fact that I was on her mind at all. I mean, Madonna's ... she’s Madonna. I looked up to her for a long time. I'm not quite sure what her intention was -– to do that in the show, but I don’t really care.
Comparisons: Over the years Lady Gaga has been compared Madonna, due to her constantly switching up her look
Comparisons: Over the years Lady Gaga has been compared Madonna, due to her constantly switching up her look
‘I think playing into the gossip of the tabloids and, I guess the fodder of the competition, that's just not what I'm about. She chooses to use her voice the way she chooses to use hers and I choose to use mine the way I use mine. All it meant to me was that Madonna Ciccone was singing my song on her stage and I'm 27! And as a punk-rocker from New York, I've basically been hoping that I would become so good that one day I would p*** off Madonna!’
Over the years Madonna has remained relatively gracious about the New Yorker taking inspiration from her.
In 2012, when she first addressed the similarities between the songs, admitting she thought it sounded familiar,  she said: 'She's a very talented artist.I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well done.
Speaking about her singing her song Gaga said: ¿I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night!'
Speaking about her singing her song Gaga said: ¿I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night!'
'There’s a lot of ways to look at it. I can’t really be annoyed by it... because, obviously, I’ve influenced her.'
Discussing the comments made by Madonna in the past, Gaga said last year: ‘That doesn't make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I'm not a good human being ... I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music. 
‘Because that's really all I care about, is the music ... things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes 'Born This Way' so relevant for me. We're socially in a different place and it's OK, we don't have to all slice and hate each other anymore.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...