Skip to main content

Design maverick Jean Paul Gaultier

When we meet, Jean Paul Gaultier – he has been in town for fewer than 24 hours yet he seems chirpy, jet lag free and thrilled to be at the National Gallery of Victoria, surrounded by his collection.

This is the 10th stop for The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, which he flew in to launch. But, despite the repetition that comes with a travelling exhibition, Gaultier is excitable, as if this is the first time, because fashion – even that which he creates – has a way of drawing attention to new details every time you view it.
“I noticed some tulle in a dress I forgot I had created,” he says, pointing to a gown in the yonder.
“The way the light draws your attention to certain pieces reminds you of things you once forgot. I have been designing for 38 years so it’s easy to forget every intricate detail to every dress.”
His beautiful French accent, wave of silver hair and childlike smile draw attention to the first corset dress he designed in the early ’80s. It is in the boudoir part of the exhibition’s themed rooms. This early dress is where Gaultier’s now famous cone-bra concept began, before the look was made famous by Madonna on her Blond Ambition tour. As a young boy, Gaultier drew cone-like impressions on his teddy bear called Nana – she is also featured behind glass.
“There is nobody like Madonna,” he says. “She directs herself, is talented, tough and interesting. She inspires women and men to follow her. She rules her own world.”
The relationship between the designer and his muse drew much interest and Gaultier admits he was always attracted to Madonna’s enigmatic presence. He always attracted to Madonna’s enigmatic energy. He says he first saw her on television singing Like A Virgin and was gobsmacked by her mix of sexy moves and religious connotations.
“I proposed to her three times, but she refused me every time,” he says, revealing something he’s kept under his hat for decades. But he then adds, “People change, and we don’t speak much anymore.”
Rebellious: Gaultier�s Montmartre in French Vogue in 1991.
Rebellious: Gaultier’s Montmartre in French Vogue in 1991.
On his first visit to Melbourne, Gaultier says he adores the city’s European charm and is impressed by the the transformation of the NGV to accommodate his creations.
Gaultier earned his stripes gradually in the fickle fashion industry but now he’s a household name, an international fashion week regular who, in September, announced he will stop designing ready-to-wear collections and focus instead on haute couture, perfumes and other collaborations.
The exhibition transports visitors through the decades, and the inspirations and muses he has worked with; showcasing dresses worn by Kylie Minogue, Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett and Dita Von Teese.
An only child, Gaultier grew up in the suburbs of Paris and would sketch his grandmother, Marie – often exploring her corset collections. He cut his teeth in design with Pierre Cardin, then Jean Patou, and arrived on the fashion scene with his own collection just as punk exploded in the ’70s.
Since then he has happily referenced punk, new wave and art movements (rural art in Mongolia is a notable influence) in collections that have seen him fuse daring design with social commentary. The ’80s and ’90s feature heavily in the exhibition – from rock to disco, chic to masculine cool. Gaultier used fashion as female armour via of cage crinoline, and put men in skirts for a play on gender roles. He turned corsets into outerwear and mixed highbrow and lowbrow, always rebellious without intention, superbly witty and inspiring every step of the way.
» The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk. National Gallery of Victoria until February 8, 2015
 www.ngv.vic.gov.au

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...