Skip to main content

A 20-year-old Madonna, when she still had a last name...

1979
Introducing Madonna Ciccone
Strike a pose.
Feb 2016 - by Alex Q. Arbuckle
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
Madonna Louise Ciccone was born on Aug. 16, 1958 in Bay City, Michigan.
As a teenager, she was known both for her rebellious antics and for her excellent performance in school. She rejected her conservative upbringing and acted out against her stepmother after her mother’s death, while maintaining a perfectionist drive and desire to make herself known. She became a cheerleader and developed an interest in ballet and dance.
After graduating high school early, she won a dance scholarship to the University of Michigan. After winning another scholarship with the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, she decided to drop out in 1978 and head straight for New York City.
There, she performed in a few dance troupes and made ends meet with odd jobs, including waitressing and modeling for nude art classes.
Here, the 20-year-old dancer poses for photographer Michael McDonnell in the spring of 1979. That same year, she traveled to France to perform as a showgirl, where she added singing to her repertoire of skills.
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.
MADONNA
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
 
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
 
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
 
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
MADONNA
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
 
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES
If I can't be daring in my work or the way I live my life, then I don't really see the point of being on this planet.
MADONNA
IMAGE: MICHAEL MCDONNELL/ARCHIVE PHOTOS/GETTY IMAGES

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Nipple During Istanbul Concert

#Madonna Flashes Titty on #MNDAtour!!! Photos, Gifs and Full Video of  Human Nature  and  Like a Virgin :  Always the burlesque girl.

Madonna Started Filming The "Bedtime Story" Video on December 5 1994.

The inspiration behind the video. Hello everyone! This month’s music video to be analyzed is the for “Bedtime Story”, While this video is tricky for its various sources of inspiration, it’s one of her best, if not  the   best, and an underrated one by most fans. I am sure that, after reading all of this, you’ll find yourself more in love with the true artist Madonna really is. Madonna called upon “Rain” director Mark Romanek to do the music video for “Bedtime Story” after she saw what he had done with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”. As she always does, she listened to the song over and over again, trying to think of a concept for a video. The theme she held on to for this one was dreams, it’s meaning, concepts, imagery and works based on it. She’s a huge fan of surrealistic art, in which lots of paintings deal about dreaming, or allude to something unfathomable in real life. She held to that and brought that concept to Romanek, that really liked the idea and wanted to add ...

Rolling Stone - June 13, 1991 - Flesh and Fantasy - Big Time Girl Talk with Carrie Fisher

Madonna and I had met many times over the years, but we had never actually had a conversation. It took this interview to bring us together – she as icon, I as inquisitor of icon [after all, I have already distinguished myself as friend of icon, relative of icon and ex-wife of icon]. I had never done an interview before, and I don’t know that I will again. For me, this has all the makings of a waterloo. The first of the two sessions for this interview took place in the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Madonna wore gold lame; I probably wore black. The last session took place in the offices of her manager, Freddy DeMann. Madonna wore a negligee; I probably wore black. I was late for that first meeting because a friend who had AIDS and who was staying with me had suddenly developed a fever. I called Madonna to say I was on my way. “You’re late,” she informed me. I explained about my friend. “Well, okay, that’s a good excuse,” she said. By the time of our fina...