Skip to main content

Lady Gaga admits she hoped she would 'p*** off Madonna' as she discusses queen of pop using her song on stage

They have had a rather tempestuous relationship ever since Lady Gaga burst on the music scene in 2008 and was instantly compared to the queen of pop - Madonna.
But it seems the younger pop star, Gaga, isn’t too concerned about the conflict between the pair, in fact she seems to rather relish in it.
Speaking to Attitude magazine about Madonna performing a mash up of Born This Way and her own song Express Yourself while touring last year, the 27-year-old admitted: ‘I've basically been hoping that I would become so good that one day I would p*** off Madonna!’
Not bothered: Lady Gaga has admitted that she had hoped to one day be good enough to annoy the queen of pop Madonna
Not bothered: Lady Gaga has admitted that she had hoped to one day be good enough to annoy the queen of pop Madonna
Making a point: Madonna used Born This Way in a mash up with her song Express Yourself while on stage
Making a point: Madonna used Born This Way in a mash up with her song Express Yourself while on stage
When Born This Way was released in 2011, many accused Gaga of emulating Madonna’s 1989 hit Express Yourself a little too much.
 
Discussing Madonna, 55, using her song she told the magazine: ‘I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night! I'm certainly not thinking about anybody but me and my fans when I'm on stage.’
She continued: ‘The fact that I was on her mind at all. I mean, Madonna's ... she’s Madonna. I looked up to her for a long time. I'm not quite sure what her intention was -– to do that in the show, but I don’t really care.
Comparisons: Over the years Lady Gaga has been compared Madonna, due to her constantly switching up her look
Comparisons: Over the years Lady Gaga has been compared Madonna, due to her constantly switching up her look
‘I think playing into the gossip of the tabloids and, I guess the fodder of the competition, that's just not what I'm about. She chooses to use her voice the way she chooses to use hers and I choose to use mine the way I use mine. All it meant to me was that Madonna Ciccone was singing my song on her stage and I'm 27! And as a punk-rocker from New York, I've basically been hoping that I would become so good that one day I would p*** off Madonna!’
Over the years Madonna has remained relatively gracious about the New Yorker taking inspiration from her.
In 2012, when she first addressed the similarities between the songs, admitting she thought it sounded familiar,  she said: 'She's a very talented artist.I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well done.
Speaking about her singing her song Gaga said: ¿I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night!'
Speaking about her singing her song Gaga said: ¿I have to be really honest, I was completely kind of floored that Madonna was singing my song on her stage every night!'
'There’s a lot of ways to look at it. I can’t really be annoyed by it... because, obviously, I’ve influenced her.'
Discussing the comments made by Madonna in the past, Gaga said last year: ‘That doesn't make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I'm not a good human being ... I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music. 
‘Because that's really all I care about, is the music ... things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes 'Born This Way' so relevant for me. We're socially in a different place and it's OK, we don't have to all slice and hate each other anymore.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On July 10 1985, The Playboy magazine issue of nude Madonna photos was released !!

Playboy  publishes nude photos of  Madonna  taken before she was famous. The singer did a number of nude photo shoots from 1977-1980, starting when she was an 18-year-old student at the University of Michigan looking for some extra cash and trying to form a band. Now a huge star,  Playboy  publishes some of the shots taken in 1979 and 1980 in a revealing spread. A year earlier, the magazine turned down nude photos of Miss America winner  Vanessa Williams , which their rival  Penthouse  published. "We think Vanessa genuinely didn't know what she was doing, didn't know her photos might be published," the article states. "Madonna, on the other hand, posed repeatedly for two noted photographers who routinely publish what they shoot." One of the photographers, Lee Friedlander, says of the shoot: "She seemed very confident, a street-wise girl." Madonna has little to say on the matter, but doesn't shy away. "I'm not ashamed,&q

Madonna's ex Carlos Leon marries designer Betina Holte...and daughter Lourdes attends the wedding

Her father Carlos Leon split from her mother Madonna in 1996, shortly after she was born. But Lourdes Leon clearly bears no ill will towards the 47-year-old personal trainer. The 16-year-old was seen attending Carlos' wedding to Zac Posen designer Betina Holte recently in Denmark. I do: Madonna's ex Carlos Leon recently wed designer Betina Holte in Gillelje, Denmark, and his daughter Lourdes attended the ceremony  Daddy's girl: Lourdes Leon looked pretty in a black floral frock as she left the church  The high school student wore a pretty navy blue floral dress and wedge heels, covering her head with a scarf. She was seen giggling with a friend outside the picturesque church in the Denmark town of Gillelje. Carlos, meanwhile, grinned widely as he posed with his beautiful blonde wife inside the church.  Handsome couple: Betina looked gorgeous in her slim-fitting gown, while Carlos looked typically striking in a grey suit  She's got

September 24 1992, Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, At The Jean-Paul Gaultier fashion show.

September 24 1992,   Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, Billy Idol in double leather... we explore the fashion show that raised $700,000 for AIDS research Jean Paul Gaultier  is renowned for many things – his exceptional tailoring, his conical bras, his impassioned approach to sociopolitcal causes in fashion – and, on September 2, 1992, all of these elements united for a show that definitely mattered. In honour of  amFAR  (The American Foundation for AIDS Research), Gaultier held a fashion benefit whose runway included everything from lip-synching to Dr Ruth dressed in rubber to raise money for a cause that devastated (and continues to devastate) communities around the world. "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" – Jean Paul Gaultier "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" explained Gaultier before the show. "I think fashion can make people think... and what will be im