Skip to main content

Madonna's "Erotica" is the titular track from her fifth studio album Erotica (1992), and was released as the album's lead single on October 13, 1992 by Maverick Records



Credits

Written by Madonna and Shep Pettibone
Produced by Madonna and Shep Pettibone
Sequencing, keyboards and programming by Shep Pettibone and Tony Shimkin
Additional keyboards by Joe Moskowitz
Erotica contains a sample of 'Jungle Boogie', performed by Kool & The Gang.
The original version of Erotica with different lyrics is known as You Thrill Me among fans.
Though there's no mention of this in the credits, Madonna also used a traditional Christian-Arabic hymn as backing vocals. The female voice that you hear in the background is actually Arabic singer Fayrouz, who sang 'Alyawm Olliqa' in 1964. The use of this religious song - which is still played on Friday before Easter in Middle East countries - created a big controversy over there and led to a ban on the Erotica album in many Middle East regions.

Single

Madonna's raunchy sex period climaxed with the release of the Erotica album and the Sex book in the fall of 1992. The title track pretty much summed it up: Madonna talks about her sexual fantasies as 'mistress Dita'. But her attempt to break the taboos about sex were not appreciated by the critics. Many thought she had gone too far this time. Erotica became the first lead-off single of a Madonna album (since the first album) that didn't reach #1. It got to #2 in Japan and Canada and to #3 in the UK and the US, where it was certified Gold. In clubs it was played a lot so it got to #1 in the Hot Dance / Club Play chart. There's another version of the song with different lyrics, called Erotic, which was featured on a bonus-CD included in the Sex book.

Video

Fabien Baron directed the video, which is often seen as 'the Sex book in motion'. It shows Madonna as a sex mistress, dressed in a black S&M-outfit, in different kinds of sex scenes. "In this video I present a fantasy. It's not like I'm saying 'this is what you should go out and do'. It's just a fantasy". It's no surprise MTV didn't want to show this fantasy in the daytime. They didn't ban it completely though; it was only shown after midnight.


Lyrics

Erotica, romance
Erotica, romance
My name is Dita
I'll be your mistress tonight
I'd like to put you in a trance

If I take you from behind
Push myself into your mind
When you least expect it
Will you try and reject it

If I'm in charge
And I treat you like a child
Will you let yourself go wild
Let my mouth go where it wants to

Give it up, do as I say
Give it up and let me have my way
I'll give you love
I'll hit you like a truck
I'll give you love
I'll teach you how to... aahh

I'd like to put you in a trance
All over

Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic

Once you put your hand in the flame
You can never be the same
There's a certain satisfaction
In a little bit of pain

I can see you understand
I can tell that you're the same
If you're afraid, well rise above
I only hurt the ones I love

Give it up, do as I say
Give it up and let me have my way
I'll give you love
I'll hit you like a truck
I'll give you love
I'll teach you how to... aahh

I'd like to put you in a trance
All over

Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
Erotic, erotic

Erotica, romance
I'd like to put you in a trance
Erotica, romance
Put your hands all over my body

I don't think you know what pain is
I don't think you've gone that way
I could bring you so much pleasure
I'll come to you when you say
I know you want me
I'm not gonna hurt you
Just close your eyes

Erotic, erotic
Erotic, erotic
Erotic, erotic
Erotic, erotic
Put your hands all over my body
All over me
All over me

Erotica, romance
I'd like to put you in a trance
Erotica, romance
I like to do a different kind of... aahh

Erotica, romance
I'd like to put you in a trance
Erotica, romance
Put your hands all over my body

Only the one that hurts you
Can make you feel better
Only the one that inflicts the pain
Can take it away

Erotic.. ca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On July 10 1985, The Playboy magazine issue of nude Madonna photos was released !!

Playboy  publishes nude photos of  Madonna  taken before she was famous. The singer did a number of nude photo shoots from 1977-1980, starting when she was an 18-year-old student at the University of Michigan looking for some extra cash and trying to form a band. Now a huge star,  Playboy  publishes some of the shots taken in 1979 and 1980 in a revealing spread. A year earlier, the magazine turned down nude photos of Miss America winner  Vanessa Williams , which their rival  Penthouse  published. "We think Vanessa genuinely didn't know what she was doing, didn't know her photos might be published," the article states. "Madonna, on the other hand, posed repeatedly for two noted photographers who routinely publish what they shoot." One of the photographers, Lee Friedlander, says of the shoot: "She seemed very confident, a street-wise girl." Madonna has little to say on the matter, but doesn't shy away. "I'm not ashamed,&q

Madonna's ex Carlos Leon marries designer Betina Holte...and daughter Lourdes attends the wedding

Her father Carlos Leon split from her mother Madonna in 1996, shortly after she was born. But Lourdes Leon clearly bears no ill will towards the 47-year-old personal trainer. The 16-year-old was seen attending Carlos' wedding to Zac Posen designer Betina Holte recently in Denmark. I do: Madonna's ex Carlos Leon recently wed designer Betina Holte in Gillelje, Denmark, and his daughter Lourdes attended the ceremony  Daddy's girl: Lourdes Leon looked pretty in a black floral frock as she left the church  The high school student wore a pretty navy blue floral dress and wedge heels, covering her head with a scarf. She was seen giggling with a friend outside the picturesque church in the Denmark town of Gillelje. Carlos, meanwhile, grinned widely as he posed with his beautiful blonde wife inside the church.  Handsome couple: Betina looked gorgeous in her slim-fitting gown, while Carlos looked typically striking in a grey suit  She's got

September 24 1992, Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, At The Jean-Paul Gaultier fashion show.

September 24 1992,   Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, Billy Idol in double leather... we explore the fashion show that raised $700,000 for AIDS research Jean Paul Gaultier  is renowned for many things – his exceptional tailoring, his conical bras, his impassioned approach to sociopolitcal causes in fashion – and, on September 2, 1992, all of these elements united for a show that definitely mattered. In honour of  amFAR  (The American Foundation for AIDS Research), Gaultier held a fashion benefit whose runway included everything from lip-synching to Dr Ruth dressed in rubber to raise money for a cause that devastated (and continues to devastate) communities around the world. "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" – Jean Paul Gaultier "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" explained Gaultier before the show. "I think fashion can make people think... and what will be im