Skip to main content

MADONNA INTERVIEW : SMASH HITS (JULY 31 1985)


Madonna - Smash Hits Magazine / July 31 1985  
NAME: It’s really Madonna. Madonna Ciccone. I never became aware that it was such an unusual name until I moved to New York and started getting my name on programmes; people assumed it was a stage name.
ANY NICKNAMES? My father called me Nonny — I think that’s how I said my name when I was little. I gave myself a graffiti tag too: “Boy Toy”.
BORN: In Detroit. What year? Why do I have to tell everybody that all the time?
FIRST CONCERT: David Bowie at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Oh, it was the most marvellous thing I’d ever done in my life! I was punished severely for going.
PREVIOUS OCCUPATIONS: Before this blasphemous job? I worked at Burger King and McDonald’s and was a lifeguard and scooped ice cream. I was once a painter’s model: I took all my clothes off and they pretended to draw my body artistically.
FIRST CRUSH: The first boy I ever loved was Ronny Howard in the fifth grade class. He had real white-blond hair and sky blue eyes. He was so beautiful. I wrote his name all over my sneakers and on the playground I used to take off the top part of my uniform and chase him around.
Madonna - Smash Hits Magazine / July 31 1985
DREAM HOLIDAY: One where I’m not arguing with anybody. Somewhere where it’s warm but not disgustingly boring.
IS THERE ANYONE YOU’D RATHER HAVE HAD YOUR FIRST SCREEN SNOG WITH THAN ROBERT JOY (IN DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN)? Vince Spano (“hunky” Italian star of Baby It’s You and other fine films). Vince Spano is such a dreamboat. Or Sam Shepard (American playwright and actor).
DO YOU DO ANY EXERCISE? I swim 100 laps every day. That’s over a mile.
WHICH TV SHOW WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO STAR IN? Dynasty. I’d like to play the girl who made Alexis feel like a fool. I’d like to trip her up.
WHAT IRRITATES YOU MOST? I hate polite conversation. I hate it when people stand around and go “Hi, how are you?” I hate words that don’t have any reason or meaning. Also I hate it when people smoke in elevators and closed-in places. It’s just so rude.
WHAT’S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE EXPRESSION? “Where’s the beef?” I’m sick of it — purlease!
DO YOU LIKE SARDINES? I love sardines in the can with mustard. But I take their spines out and their tails off.
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SIR WILLIAM IDOL? Who? Oh. I was considering doing a song with Billy Idol, if you can believe it. That would have been good because we’re both white and plastic and blond.
WHAT’S, LIKE, THE WEIRDEST GIFT YOU’VE EVER HAD FROM A FAN? I only get normal things like flowers, candy, toys and jewellery, but I get strange letters because of my name. I got a letter from a girl who believes she’s the second coming of Christ and since I’m Madonna we have to be together.
WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH? I don’t like jokes so much. The things that make me laugh are people’s idiosyncracies and expressions.
DO YOU THINK YOU’LL EVER WRITE A BOOK? Maybe. I do write a lot. It would be a searing love story, probably semi-autobiographical, you know, because it’s best to draw on your personal experiences.
FAVOURITE HEAVY METAL SONG? Oh, gee, I don’t really listen to it anymore and even when I was little I hated it too.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE HAT? A sailor’s cap in navy blue. I just took it off. I was wearing it all day but it was giving me a headache.
© Smash Hits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On July 10 1985, The Playboy magazine issue of nude Madonna photos was released !!

Playboy  publishes nude photos of  Madonna  taken before she was famous. The singer did a number of nude photo shoots from 1977-1980, starting when she was an 18-year-old student at the University of Michigan looking for some extra cash and trying to form a band. Now a huge star,  Playboy  publishes some of the shots taken in 1979 and 1980 in a revealing spread. A year earlier, the magazine turned down nude photos of Miss America winner  Vanessa Williams , which their rival  Penthouse  published. "We think Vanessa genuinely didn't know what she was doing, didn't know her photos might be published," the article states. "Madonna, on the other hand, posed repeatedly for two noted photographers who routinely publish what they shoot." One of the photographers, Lee Friedlander, says of the shoot: "She seemed very confident, a street-wise girl." Madonna has little to say on the matter, but doesn't shy away. "I'm not ashamed,&q

Madonna's ex Carlos Leon marries designer Betina Holte...and daughter Lourdes attends the wedding

Her father Carlos Leon split from her mother Madonna in 1996, shortly after she was born. But Lourdes Leon clearly bears no ill will towards the 47-year-old personal trainer. The 16-year-old was seen attending Carlos' wedding to Zac Posen designer Betina Holte recently in Denmark. I do: Madonna's ex Carlos Leon recently wed designer Betina Holte in Gillelje, Denmark, and his daughter Lourdes attended the ceremony  Daddy's girl: Lourdes Leon looked pretty in a black floral frock as she left the church  The high school student wore a pretty navy blue floral dress and wedge heels, covering her head with a scarf. She was seen giggling with a friend outside the picturesque church in the Denmark town of Gillelje. Carlos, meanwhile, grinned widely as he posed with his beautiful blonde wife inside the church.  Handsome couple: Betina looked gorgeous in her slim-fitting gown, while Carlos looked typically striking in a grey suit  She's got

September 24 1992, Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, At The Jean-Paul Gaultier fashion show.

September 24 1992,   Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, Billy Idol in double leather... we explore the fashion show that raised $700,000 for AIDS research Jean Paul Gaultier  is renowned for many things – his exceptional tailoring, his conical bras, his impassioned approach to sociopolitcal causes in fashion – and, on September 2, 1992, all of these elements united for a show that definitely mattered. In honour of  amFAR  (The American Foundation for AIDS Research), Gaultier held a fashion benefit whose runway included everything from lip-synching to Dr Ruth dressed in rubber to raise money for a cause that devastated (and continues to devastate) communities around the world. "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" – Jean Paul Gaultier "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" explained Gaultier before the show. "I think fashion can make people think... and what will be im