Skip to main content

MADONNA INTERVIEW : WORLD OF POP (AUGUST 25 2000)

Madonna - World Of Pop / August 25 2000

You seem to avoid the paparazzi far more these days. Is that because you’re being a protective mum?
Madonna: Yes. My daughter is too young to understand stardom. She doesn’t see the point of the press and she thinks the paparazzi are silly! I’ve only let one photographer take my daughter’s picture and that was for the article in Vanity Fair. The rest are all paparazzi pictures of her on the streets.
Does fame become harder now that your family has grown?
Madonna: Yes, absolutely. I can’t go for a walk on the street with my children. I can’t do the things that other people do with their children. Where Lourdes goes to school is affected by my fame. I can’t make those decisions in the way that other people do.
How much does being a mother affect your career decisions?
Madonna: Very much. I want to be at home, being a mom, as much as possible.
Do you sing to your kids?
Madonna: Oh, yeah. But I won’t tell you what. I make up songs that are really silly and completely embarrassing.
Are there times when you’ve thought ‘forget it!’ and wanted to disappear?
Madonna: Oh, yes, absolutely. I’d just like to go to the countryside. Nothing more than that.
You appear to have fallen in love with everything English. Why is that?
Madonna: I spend a lot of time in LA so it’s a refreshing change. London is very inspiring. I love to read and so few people in LA read books for any other reason than to make movies. In London, you read because you love good books.
Have you been to India yet?
Madonna: No, I’m dying to go. Ricky Martin goes to Nepal by northern India. I’d go to southern India to study with Pavati Joyce.
How much time do you spend practising yoga each day?
Madonna - World Of Pop / August 25 2000
Madonna: An hour and a half. It gives me a sense of balance, focus, serenity and wisdom. It’s been a great influence on my life. All of my friends have started doing it. I do Pilates too.
Do you think you’re judged unfa irly in your acting?
Madonna: Absolutely. People are more judgemental when you’ve already been really successful in one area.
Do you look for projects that have a political statement?
Madonna: To a certain extent, yeah. I wouldn’t want to be in a movie that promoted violence, I wouldn’t want to be in a movie that’s shocking just for the sake of being shocking. I don’t want to just be in a movie because I’ll get paid a lot of money or it will be a big huge hit.
It’s never crossed your mind to do a big action film just for the hell of it?
Madonna: No. I don’t think I’ve ever done anything just for the hell of it.
What do you get from making movies as opposed to making music?
Madonna: Well, you get a nice, big trailer when you’re making a movie! It’s a different art form. When you’re writing a song it’s very direct. It comes out of you and nothing stands in the way of that emotion. Making movies is a much more collaborative effort. There are a lot of people involved.
Has the fact that others are in control of your art affected you?
Madonna: It’s been a lesson in submission but not in a weak sense. I’ve learned that you can terrorize and steamroller people or you can learn to do it in more subtle ways.
You now have your own production company. Are you working on anything?
Madonna: Yes, I’m working with someone to develop a screenplay that I’d like to direct. It’s called Going Down and it centres on a year of a young girl’s life in New York City. She’s a 19-year-old budding actress and she becomes a prostitute for one year to pay for her acting classes – it’s very funny.
Will you star in Going Down?
Madonna: No, I just plan to direct it.
Any future films in which you’ll star?
Madonna: I’ve read at least 50 scripts over the past year and they’re all a waste of time. There’s not very many good movies made, period. There’s even fewer with a strong, important woman’s role. I don’t see myself playing the sort of roles that many other successful actresses play.
Do you think Next Best Thing weakened your image because we saw you pining after a guy in the film?
Madonna: Well, I don’t think people were that shocked. I mean, that’s certainly happened to me. I’ve had my heart broken.
© World Of Pop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On July 10 1985, The Playboy magazine issue of nude Madonna photos was released !!

Playboy  publishes nude photos of  Madonna  taken before she was famous. The singer did a number of nude photo shoots from 1977-1980, starting when she was an 18-year-old student at the University of Michigan looking for some extra cash and trying to form a band. Now a huge star,  Playboy  publishes some of the shots taken in 1979 and 1980 in a revealing spread. A year earlier, the magazine turned down nude photos of Miss America winner  Vanessa Williams , which their rival  Penthouse  published. "We think Vanessa genuinely didn't know what she was doing, didn't know her photos might be published," the article states. "Madonna, on the other hand, posed repeatedly for two noted photographers who routinely publish what they shoot." One of the photographers, Lee Friedlander, says of the shoot: "She seemed very confident, a street-wise girl." Madonna has little to say on the matter, but doesn't shy away. "I'm not ashamed,&q

Madonna's ex Carlos Leon marries designer Betina Holte...and daughter Lourdes attends the wedding

Her father Carlos Leon split from her mother Madonna in 1996, shortly after she was born. But Lourdes Leon clearly bears no ill will towards the 47-year-old personal trainer. The 16-year-old was seen attending Carlos' wedding to Zac Posen designer Betina Holte recently in Denmark. I do: Madonna's ex Carlos Leon recently wed designer Betina Holte in Gillelje, Denmark, and his daughter Lourdes attended the ceremony  Daddy's girl: Lourdes Leon looked pretty in a black floral frock as she left the church  The high school student wore a pretty navy blue floral dress and wedge heels, covering her head with a scarf. She was seen giggling with a friend outside the picturesque church in the Denmark town of Gillelje. Carlos, meanwhile, grinned widely as he posed with his beautiful blonde wife inside the church.  Handsome couple: Betina looked gorgeous in her slim-fitting gown, while Carlos looked typically striking in a grey suit  She's got

September 24 1992, Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, At The Jean-Paul Gaultier fashion show.

September 24 1992,   Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, Billy Idol in double leather... we explore the fashion show that raised $700,000 for AIDS research Jean Paul Gaultier  is renowned for many things – his exceptional tailoring, his conical bras, his impassioned approach to sociopolitcal causes in fashion – and, on September 2, 1992, all of these elements united for a show that definitely mattered. In honour of  amFAR  (The American Foundation for AIDS Research), Gaultier held a fashion benefit whose runway included everything from lip-synching to Dr Ruth dressed in rubber to raise money for a cause that devastated (and continues to devastate) communities around the world. "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" – Jean Paul Gaultier "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" explained Gaultier before the show. "I think fashion can make people think... and what will be im