Skip to main content

UK Magazines: 'Now' Monday, 30 April 2012 [Read Interview HERE]

The 30 April issue of UK magazine 'Now' features Dan Wootton's interview with Madonna that was broadcast on ITV1's 'Daybreak/Lorraine'.

Madonna - Now / April 30 2012

Lourdes doesn’t want to be like me

In her only UK interview, Madge talks family, fashion and career
When I found out that I was flying to New York in just 24 hours to meet Madonna for her only UK interview, I felt like pinching myself. At 53, Madge is the undisputed queen of pop with an extraordinary three-decade career behind her. She’s considered by most to be the most famous woman on the planet. And she just doesn’t give interviews – like, ever!
Our meeting, which was filmed for a special Madonna Morning on ITV’s Daybreak and Lorraine, took place at 11pm at the plush Carlyle hotel in central Manhattan. Madonna, looked stunning in black leather trousers and jacket, despite having been busy rehearsing for her tour earlier that day and then attending an event at an NYC department store. Forget all those rumours about diva strops, huge entourages and rudeness – the global megastar was charming, engaging and, unlike so many big stars these days, refreshingly honest…
We miss you in the UK. We don’t see as much of you these days.
I know! [Puts on a British accent] It’s a drag. I miss London, I do. And I’ll be back when I come there on tour. I haven’t been travelling much because I’ve been working so very hard for my loyal fans in the UK.
What do you miss the most – and the least – about the UK?
I miss riding my bike everywhere. I miss the British sense of humour. What do I miss the least? The congestion charge!
Your new album MDNA has been described as empowering for women. Was that your aim?
No, I didn’t really have any particular goal. I knew I wanted to make a record. I felt after three years on a film [she directed recent drama WE], I was really excited about working on music again, playing my guitar, writing songs. I just began working and that’s what came out.
My favourite track has a naughty word in it where you admit that sometimes you, er, muck up! I don’t think people expect you to admit making mistakes….
Why not?
People just think…
That I think I’m right all the time?
No, but you’ve had such an incredibly successful career. 
I know, but I still make mistakes. And I have to say I’m sorry to people. I do eff up.
Do you feel you make fewer mistakes as you become more experienced?
No. I think as a human being you just make mistakes period. Hopefully – I think more before I speak and act. But every once in a while I find myself not thinking before I’m speaking and that’s usually when mistakes happen. Don’t you think?
Absolutely! 
But I think it’s as important to say that I have the right to freedom of expression and am free to be who I am and not settle for less. With all the messages I put out in my music, I think it’s just as important to be able to say: ‘I made a mistake – I messed up.’ It’s equally empowering to admit your mistakes.
You’re often referred to as the queen of reinvention. Do you consciously think about staying relevant?
I just think about how I want to try new things. I want to change, I want to evolve. I find different things to be inspired by.
Madonna - Now / April 30 2012
You didn’t take a break between making WE and recording your album, did you?
[Sounding annoyed] No. I’m a little bit grumpy about that. I’m tired, yes.
Well, you don’t look it. But do you ever think: ‘I want to sit on the sofa and put my feet up for two months’?
I’m thinking that right now!
Is the interview that bad?!
No no no, not because of you! Just going from my movie to my record and the Super Bowl and rehearsing for my tour, I really haven’t had a break. Sometimes I think I’m superwoman and I can do it all. But right about now I’m thinking: ‘Maybe I should’ve taken a few months off.’ But I have four kids, so that factors into all of my decisions. Being on tour in the summertime is better because they can be on the road with me and they don’t miss school. I don’t make decisions on my own any more.
Your daughter Lourdes sings backing vocals on your track Superstar. If she came to you and said: ‘Mum, I want to follow in your footsteps…’
She’d never say that. I don’t think she wants to be me. She wants to be her. She can do many things – she can play piano, she can dance, she can sing – but I don’t think she really knows what she wants to do. I’m not going to push her in any direction. I want her to come to that organically. If she decides she wants to be a singer, great. But I’m sure the last thing she wants to do is follow in my footsteps.
You’re honest about the fact that it can be difficult to balance being a career woman and…
[Interrupts] A working mom.
Yeah – and a hands-on mum at that. How do you prioritise?
[Sighs thinking about it] It’s hard. It’s always a juggling act. Right now I’m working a lot. So often, to the irritation of my manager, I say no to things. I should be out promoting my record a lot more but if I do that then I have no free time with my children. I have to make sacrifices.
Your Super Bowl performance in February was your first for a while. One thing people said was: ‘How did she get into shape so quickly?’ What’s the secret?
So quickly? I mean, I’m always trying to stay in shape. It’s not like I went from a couch potato to a cannonball!
Are you in the gym every day?
Yeah, working out. I have a dance studio at my house, too – and rehearsing for the tour is quite a calorie burner.
It’s a huge summer in the UK when you’re touring… 
I know, the Olympics.
And also the Diamond Jubilee. So we’ve got the queen of pop and Queen Elizabeth II marking something pretty remarkable.
It’s the year of the queen!
What do you make of Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge?
I think she’s quite charming and intelligent. Nice. A breath of fresh air.
Along with the Royal family, we’re also very proud of Adele in the UK. Would you like to work with her?
Yeah, well, I would love to. I love her. I would love to meet her. I think she’s brilliant.
That would be one heck of a collaboration!
Yeah. She’s cool. I wanted her to be at the Super Bowl with me but she was having a throat problem or throat operation.
Well, how about she joins you at your Hyde Park gig?
I don’t know, maybe!
What about One Direction – have you heard of them?
That’s a pop group, right? Yes, yes, yes, yes. I haven’t seen them yet, sorry. [Holds out her palm] Slap my hand! I’m telling you I live in a bubble. In a tent, really.
Madonna - Now / April 30 2012
There’ve been rumours you’ve been approached to be a judge on all these TV talent shows -The Voice, The X Factor… Is it something you’d ever consider?
I haven’t really thought about it. I haven’t really seen any of those shows. I don’t watch television. Everyone’s a bit contest obsessed. I don’t actually like the idea of being a judge. It’s so, I don’t know, subjective – what’s good and what isn’t. I think perhaps we’re too obsessed with it. There’s a lot of contest shows, it seems. What do you think?
If you look at One Direction, for example…
Did they win a contest?
They didn’t win but Simon Cowell put them together on The X Factor and now they’ve had a No 1 album in America. Can that be a bad thing? 
Being successful in the music industry now for the first time is a lot different from when I started. It’s a lot easier to be seen now because of the internet and all these contest shows. When I started you just had to play in a whole load of really yucky clubs for years and years and years. But that’s really good experience. It’s good to be able to hone your craft and learn how to perform on stage and grow anonymously. Then when fame does come to you, you’ve had a lot of time and experience.
You’re known for setting trends. You’ve been a style icon for…
Hundreds of years! Of course not!
But do you think a lot about fashion or do you just wear what you like?
Well, I go for what I like but I am aware of fashion. There are lots of designers I like to work with.
The final and most important question I have for you is: are you happy?
[Without hesitation] Yes! I am. Very happy, thank you.
Madonna’s new single Girl Gone Wild, from the album MDNA, is out on 14 May. Watch the full ITV Madonna Morning interview at itv








     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On July 10 1985, The Playboy magazine issue of nude Madonna photos was released !!

Playboy  publishes nude photos of  Madonna  taken before she was famous. The singer did a number of nude photo shoots from 1977-1980, starting when she was an 18-year-old student at the University of Michigan looking for some extra cash and trying to form a band. Now a huge star,  Playboy  publishes some of the shots taken in 1979 and 1980 in a revealing spread. A year earlier, the magazine turned down nude photos of Miss America winner  Vanessa Williams , which their rival  Penthouse  published. "We think Vanessa genuinely didn't know what she was doing, didn't know her photos might be published," the article states. "Madonna, on the other hand, posed repeatedly for two noted photographers who routinely publish what they shoot." One of the photographers, Lee Friedlander, says of the shoot: "She seemed very confident, a street-wise girl." Madonna has little to say on the matter, but doesn't shy away. "I'm not ashamed,&q

Madonna's ex Carlos Leon marries designer Betina Holte...and daughter Lourdes attends the wedding

Her father Carlos Leon split from her mother Madonna in 1996, shortly after she was born. But Lourdes Leon clearly bears no ill will towards the 47-year-old personal trainer. The 16-year-old was seen attending Carlos' wedding to Zac Posen designer Betina Holte recently in Denmark. I do: Madonna's ex Carlos Leon recently wed designer Betina Holte in Gillelje, Denmark, and his daughter Lourdes attended the ceremony  Daddy's girl: Lourdes Leon looked pretty in a black floral frock as she left the church  The high school student wore a pretty navy blue floral dress and wedge heels, covering her head with a scarf. She was seen giggling with a friend outside the picturesque church in the Denmark town of Gillelje. Carlos, meanwhile, grinned widely as he posed with his beautiful blonde wife inside the church.  Handsome couple: Betina looked gorgeous in her slim-fitting gown, while Carlos looked typically striking in a grey suit  She's got

September 24 1992, Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, At The Jean-Paul Gaultier fashion show.

September 24 1992,   Madonna baring her breasts and blowing kisses, Billy Idol in double leather... we explore the fashion show that raised $700,000 for AIDS research Jean Paul Gaultier  is renowned for many things – his exceptional tailoring, his conical bras, his impassioned approach to sociopolitcal causes in fashion – and, on September 2, 1992, all of these elements united for a show that definitely mattered. In honour of  amFAR  (The American Foundation for AIDS Research), Gaultier held a fashion benefit whose runway included everything from lip-synching to Dr Ruth dressed in rubber to raise money for a cause that devastated (and continues to devastate) communities around the world. "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" – Jean Paul Gaultier "Tonight will be about protection... wear rubber and protect yourself!" explained Gaultier before the show. "I think fashion can make people think... and what will be im